Traditionally, today’s dinner is a less formal term, so you will want to use dinner to describe an evening meal in academic or professional writing. Since dinner is spelled D, just like a huge word, you should easily remember. Most people like to eat and even people who do not like it must do it for survival. English-speaking people have plenty of words for meals, including breakfast, second breakfast, eleven o’clock, brunch, lunch, luncheon, afternoon tea, dinner, and supper. However, many people do not know the difference between Dinner and Supper.
In this article, we will compare supper vs. dinner. I will use both of these words in example sentences, so you can see them in context. we will show you a memory tool you can use to determine whether to choose supper or Dinner next time you are describing a delicious family meal.
When to use “Dinner”:
What is Dinner: Dinner is a noun. It can refer to the largest meal of the day or a party at a formal event.
Here are some examples,
- My speech at the White House correspondent’s dinner, was generally considered a very successful event.
- I asked my wife to bake Alaskan salmon for dinner, but she did not like it.
- I had food poisoning when I last went to the steakhouse for dinner.
- I found that the best way to improve at dinner was not butter. It does not involve creamy generous wines.
DINNER IS THE LARGEST MEAL OF THE DAY
When do you have dinner? Dinner refers to the size of the meal, not the time to eat it. In many western cultures, the biggest meal is eaten at night. However, for the rest of history, dinner eats at noon or the afternoon of the day.
When to use “Supper”:
Supper usually means having a lighter meal at night. The term stems from the agricultural tradition of eating a lighter meal at noon when eating a great meal, usually made up of soup.
Here are some examples of supper in sentences,
- Mom called the boy who came back from the field for supper.
- supper was good, but I’m still hungry.
- Sunday Supper is much more than meals. The calm and comfortable atmosphere needed to reach high-quality family time can be hard to come by.
SUPPER IS A SMALLER INFORMAL MEAL IN THE EVENING
What time is dinner? Unlike dinner, which does not necessarily mean time, supper is a meal eaten in the evening.
Tip to remember the difference Dinner vs Supper:
In the United States, many families use dinner and supper to refer to a large evening meal. Traditionally, dinner refers to the day’s largest meal, no matter what time, supper is a light meal to eat at night. Dinner describes a large meal no matter what you eat.
- Traditionally supper means having a light meal at night.
- Dinner means the largest meal of the day whenever it is eaten.
- Dinner also means formal gatherings around food.
Today, these words are often used as synonyms. Nevertheless, dinner is more formal, you should use it to formally evening meal. Dinner and tremendous both contain the letter D, making it easy to think of dinner as a tremendous meal!